Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Cake-Decorating Week

Back in September, I signed up for a cake decorating class as I wanted to learn to decorate cookies.  Last week, I happened to catch The Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network when she had a guest who specializes in decorating dog-shaped cookies.  I want to do that for all-things western.

Since this class is compressed into one week, we haven't had to bake cakes and decorate them from scratch  The others in the class - a grandmother, her daughter-in-law and her three teenaged grandchildren liked cookies, so it worked out well for me, too.

Because I had other commitments, I got to the store late, and they were out of sugar cookies - my first choice.  So I bought some chocolate graham crackers instead.  I will get to the store earlier next time, I promised myself.

At the class, I bought some of Wilton's Betty Crocker Chocolate icing.  The dark brown chocolate graham crackers and the dark brown icing gave my hearts, balloons, "Happy Birthday" message, a snake, a southwestern sun, shells, stars, etc. a real western flair.

After sampling my artwork, I decided to skip the sugar cookies.  Instead I ♥ chocolate graham crackers with chocolate icing.  

When I am ready to make and decorate my own cookies, I will cut out boots, small railroad engines and the letters of the alphabet with my own cutters.  I can't wait to see how they will ice up.

No comments:

Post a Comment