Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Paper Mache Beads continued...

This medium has real promise to make necklaces and earrings for charity bazaars on the cheap.

However, here are some problems I need to solve with strictly organics before the spring competition:

  • beads are too light weight - solved see below
  • hemp cording needs a WOW factor - solution firming up
  • clasp in back needs refinement - still working on this
  • different paint (type, color) for variety 
  • beads need a protective coating

Hubby is an IT hardware kind of guy, and he has all these smallish screws and nuts that he saves for a rainy day.  Well one day last week, it was misting.  Does that count?  I decided it did; and as an experiment, I put three screws into the bigger beads and two into the medium-size ones as I finished up the last of the paper mache.  He has so many he will never miss my raid.  

Of course, with the screws inside I had to make the beads with holes as my Dremel tool doesn't drill through metal.  When they dried, they were just heavy enough.  If they weren't the right weight, I could have added or subtracted the number of screws on the next batch.   

Since the screws are inside the beads, there would be no problem with the rules for jewelry made from organics this spring.




No comments:

Post a Comment