Monday, October 24, 2011

Polymer Clay Beads - Part I - One Color

The trick for one-color beads is to get them the correct size.  If I must have them exactly the same size, I will limber up the clay, make a worm and measure off exact amounts.

Here is a tool I saw at clay class that helps do this, and it is called the Super Slicer.  It comes with one set of handles and several blades.  However, putting this tool together is DANGEROUS.  One of the crafters in class cut her finger attaching the handles.  My hubby put the straight slicer on the handles for me and is thinking of ways of putting handles on the other blades, so I don't have to take the handles on and off.  It was $14.99 before coupon and tax.



In making beads and after slicing off same-size blobs of clay, form it into any shaped desired - square, oblong ball or round ball.

Before I saw the next tool I had been using tooth picks, bamboo skewers or coffee-swizzle sticks to make the bead holes.  I saw this tool called the Etch 'N Pearl with three-sized instruments and decided to upgrade.  It was $7.99 before coupon and tax.



In class I made small beads and used the small-sized hole maker.  Be sure the bead holes are large enough for your wire or cord.

You may have to re-form the bead after you make the holes as the process can disfigure them.

All is left is baking.

Next multi-colored beads.


No comments:

Post a Comment