Friday, October 21, 2011

Polymer-Clay Beads Class

Back in early September, I signed up for Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts class after seeing bargain classes offered in the media.  After one class was canceled, my class was finally held earlier this week, and it was worth the wait.  For $22.50, I got three hours of instructions on making polymer clay beads.

These will make a nice addition to my paper mache beads.

The medium is inexpensive when coupons are used.  Many times Jo-Ann's has this clay half priced or there is a coupon in their flyers, emails or web site that gives a 50% discount.  There is one 40% off coupon for any supplies for any class.  Be sure to check the coupon's expiration dates.  And usually the coupon is good for only one item, so I usually snag the biggest size available.  Or use the coupon on the most expensive item.

This clay never dries until it is baked in a toaster oven.  The teacher had some her son used several years ago (didn't bake it), and when limbered up, it was ready to be made into something new.  However, once it has been baked, re-purposing the raw clay is no longer an option.

It didn't appear to shrink after baking.

A couple of years ago, I thought this would be great for the little cowgirls, but after I began collecting supplies learned that it is toxic.  Therefore, equipment that the clay touches must now be dedicated to crafting - not food.

I use an oil-cloth tablecloth and flexible cutting boards to make the beads.  I got these castoffs from garage sales or my own use.  When I am done crafting, I take them outside to brush off the craft dust - no mess, no fuss.  Then fold it up, put it in the craft cabinet, and it is ready for the next adventure.

I got a toaster oven off Craigslist under the "free" category.  When I was visiting my sister in Texas last year, someone had a pasta maker that had been previously dedicated to polymer clay, and I brought it back.  I wonder what the TSA thought when they scanned my luggage.  Perhaps, "Who brings their pasta maker on vacation?"

Getting the clay warm is an important part of limbering it up.  Then it will kneedable.  I have successfully used a craft pan covered by a towel in the folds of a heating pad.  I continue to use that heating pad because the clay didn't touch it.

During the class, I saw a couple of tools I could use with both paper machine and polymer, and I will check them out the next time I go to Jo-Ann's.  And I will take my coupons with me.

Like paper mache,  use medical gloves as there is some color transfer.   Change gloves when going from dark to light as the dark coloring on the glove may stain.

Don't throw away used/old clay when finished.  Randomly-colored beads are beautiful, too.

Polymer clay beads process:
  • limber up the clay
  • put it through the pasta machine if required
  • shape it into balls or worms
  • make beads
  • push holes into beads if necessary
  • reshape the beads
  • bake
Polymer beads should be baked for 30 minutes at 275 degrees.  If the beads are not firm, they can be re-baked for another 10 minutes.  Baking time depends upon the thickness of the object.

One-color beads next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment